Field Trips: Historic Forestville
Experience a historic Minnesota valley and town site with a rich history that features a well-preserved general store, homestead, and farm buildings from the late-1800s. Explore the history of the inhabitants of this area—from ancient peoples to today’s residents.
The Many Facets of Forestville
K-8 (with content adjustments for different grade levels)
Come to Historic Forestville for a curriculum-based, hands-on learning experience. Discover how the Dakota used the land before western expansion, examine how settler-colonists took advantage of the area’s natural resources, explore what pulled these people to Minnesota, experience the economics of a small town store and realize how “big” a small town can be.
The Many Facets of Forestville program supports state of Minnesota academic standards in social studies while the Mystery Cave program supports state of Minnesota academic standards in science. See below for more detailed information.
21899 County Road 118
Preston, MN 55965
Inside Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park
- $8 per student, $80 minimum group fee
- District staff free
- One free adult per 10 students. Additional chaperones will be invoiced at the same rate as the students.
- Admission costs are for anyone age 4 and over
- Length: 90 minutes
- Contact the park office for a form that allows free bus parking.
- A nearby State Park picnic pavilion can accommodate indoor/outdoor seating for 75.
Tour Mystery Cave
Make reservations with the DNR to visit nearby Mystery Cave State Park, $5 per person.
Scholarships, grants, and subsidies